Thursday 7 January 2010

Banana and Blueberry Bread

Do you ever find that your bananas ripen when you're not looking? They're green for a while and then yellow and before you know it they've gone black! I personally don't like to eat bananas that are too ripe so I find myself making quite a lot of banana bread as I don't know what else to do with the over-ripe bananas. This time I decided to try a slight variation since I also had a lot of blueberries to hand. I made little loafs which are so cute and so convenient. I'm having one for breakfast tomorrow :)


I had some extra batter left so I put them in a star mould and this is how they turned out


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3 large over-ripe bananas

2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup (80 ml) vanilla soymilk (or apple sauce)
1/2 cup (120 ml) sugar
2 cups (240 g) white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (240 ml) blueberries

 
  • Preheat oven to 180CF.
  • Mix the soymilk with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and let stand until it curdles. (If using apple sauce, skip this step and add the lemon juice to the bananas.)
  • In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add the remaining lemon juice, soymilk, and sugar. Stir well to combine.
  • In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and stir just until the mixture is well-combined. Fold in the blueberries.
  • Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. (Reduce baking time if making miniatures such as these ~40-45mins)
  • Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!