Saturday 2 January 2010

Stained Glass Cookies

I saw these on Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/stained-glass-cookies
and thought they looked so cool. I actually used a different recipe in the end which I got from one of my books and here's how they turned out. I think you can use any basic sugar cookie recipe. I found the bigger shapes with big cut outs worked best. I tried to do some alphabet ones but they didn't turn out well as the space was too small to fill with the sweets.


This is what it looks like on a tree. It's really pretty when it catches the light.


Stained glass cookies:


110g butter, softened
110g castger sugar
125ml honey
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
450g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
coloured hard boiled sweets

  • Cream the butter, sugar, honey, egg and vanilla extract until smooth.

    In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
  • Add to the butter mixture and combine.
  • Gather the dough into a ball and chill for 2 hours (or 1 hour if you are in a hurry)
  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Line baking sheets with foil, shiny side up.
  • Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough to approximately 1/2inch thickness.
  • Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter.
  • Cut a smaller shape within the cut cookie with a smaller cutter or a sharp knife.
  • If using as ornaments, make a little hole at the top (I used a straw)
  • Crush the sweets (I put them in a resealable bag and used a rolling pin)
  • Spoon the sweets into the centre of the cookies.
  • Bake for 6-8 minutes until the sweets have melted and the cookies are golden.
  • Be careful that the sweets dont bubble over
  • Allow to cool completely before removing

1 comment:

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!