Thursday 4 February 2010

It's a Rocky Road to Love

My second entry for the February ICL challenge was 'It's a Rocky Road to Love'. The cake was really light and spongy topped with homemade rocky road. It was supposed to be a marble cake but I had some difficulties getting the marbled effect. Dont think it turned out too badly though! It definitely tasted amazing :) (yes I know- obviously I will have a biased view) I'm not a huge fan of rocky road as I don't like marshmallows and cherries but these were yummy! I'm sure it won't be my first and last time making them.



Marble Cake
125g butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1&1/4 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup milk
pink food colouring
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons milk, extra

Rocky Road Topping
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1 cup (200g) glace red cherries, halved
1 cup (100g) pink and white marshmallows, chopped coarsely
200g milk eating chocolate, melted


  • Preheat oven to 180C

  • Beat butter, extract, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.

  • Stir in sifted flour and milk in 2 batches.

  • Divide mixture evenly among 3 bowls.

  • Tint one mixture pink.

  • Blend sifted cocoa powder with extra milk in a cup; stir into another mixture.

  • Leave third mixture plain.

  • Drop alternate spoonfuls of the mixtures into cases.  Pull a toothpick backwards and forwards through mixtures for a marbled effect; smooth surface.

  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes

  • Combine ingredients for rocky road topping in a medium bowl.

  • Place topping on tops of cooled cakes.

  • Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!