Wednesday 19 May 2010

Congo Bar



I came across these on Bakerella's blog recently and knew I had to make it. If you've not read bakerella's blog, I highly recommend it. She makes the best baked goods around including really cute cake pops.
So what is a congo bar? I've never even heard of it until now. It's apparently a cross between a brownie and a cookie. Heaven. Sometimes you just can't decide especially for a self confessed cookie-holic and brownie-holic like me. Beats cake anyday in my book :)
I took Bakerella's advice and made these by hand. They turned out beautifully and I'm pretty sure I could have eaten the whole tray! It's like a really decadent chocolate chip cookie with the texture of a brownie. I made these late at night (again!) and didn't have all the ingredients to hand. So I improvised and think it's probably better this way! I didn't have enough chocolate chips so I added some M&M's and chopped chocolate. I have to say I was shocked when I saw how much sugar was required - 1lb (454g) so I reduced this and it still tasted a little sweet to me.
Give this a go and I guarantee you'll love it :)


I love the brightly coloured M&M'sYummy batter Fresh from the oven. I added some chocolate shavings on top for fun. Might even try sprinkling some 100s&1000s next time.

Would you like a slice?

Recipe adapted from Bakerella

 
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
325g light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
100g milk chocolate chips
185g M&Ms
~50g chopped chocolate (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 180C
  • Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
  • Stir brown sugar into softened (not melted) butter in another large bowl until butter disappears.
  • Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture and stir well after each egg.
  • Add vanilla, chocolate chips, M&Ms and chopped chocolate if using. Mix well.
  • Add dry flour mixture and stir until well combined.
  • Pour into baking pan (I used a square one as pictures) and bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.

 

 

 

 

 

9 comments:

  1. LOL, for that much sugar it better be good. They look delicious daaaaaaahling.
    *kisses* HH
    p.s. plan to make that lemon crunch cake this week after your recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh what a cool concept, a cross between both? I must try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved ur cake. Looks so good. Must be a decadent treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy! brownies are my weakness. these look amazing!
    xoxo
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look SOOOO good! Love the idea of the crispy m&m's with the chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look wonderful - complete indulgance overload :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the compliment, I have been trying to get better at making my cupcakes frosting look more uniform! These bars sound sooo tasty, I remember them from Bakerella's blog but am going to have to give them a try after drooling at the screen at your pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness! I baked her bars today! I was reading the comments and saw your link. I am so going to do M&Ms next time. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!