Monday 24 May 2010

Orange Chiffon Cake


My second attempt at making chiffon cake which turned out even better than the first :) I made an orange one this time using my mum's recipe and it tasted much nicer than the chocolate one. Everyone loved it. It was really light, moist, spongy and citrusy.


Beautiful egg whites

Cake batter

Look how much it rose in the tin!

Egg white foam
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
100g caster sugar

Egg yolk batter
5 egg yolks
252g plain flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
152g caster sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest of 2 oranges

  • Make egg white foam by beating egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
  • Add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
  • Sieve flour, baking powder and salt twice and set aside.
  • Add egg yolks, orange juice and orange zest, oil and water and beat until well mixed.
  • Blend into egg white foam gently until everything is incorporated.
  • Pour batter in an UNGREASED 22cm tube pan.
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 130C for 35 minutes then 160C for a further 25minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and invert the cake tin onto a wire rack.
  • Allow to cool completely before unmoulding from tin.

 

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to try a chiffon cake too. I've never done one before. Although first, I need a nice big cake pan like yours...
    Lemon crunch cake was a great success. I am going to post it soon.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - so light and fluffy! Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this chiffon cake looks too heavenly and perfectly done. Brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking chiffon

    I also live in London- where did you get your Chiffon cake tin as i really want one too, have been resorting to a garland cake tin which gives me short,sunken, sad distant cousin cakes of the chiffon.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!