Saturday 22 May 2010

Peanut Butter Cookie Bars



This recipe is from another favourite blog of mine by Megan B of Confessions of a Bake-aholic. Just like the congo bars, I knew I had to make these when I saw them. I never used to like eating peanut butter but now am a huge fan of it. I especially love Reece's peanut butter cups and peanut butter M&M's. Peanut butter and chocolate is a perfect combination.
I can see why these were the people's choice winner of the 2010 cookie fest. The addition of oats gave it a really nice crumbly texture. The peanut butter frosting was absolutely divine! I could quite easily eat the whole tray.
I modified the recipe very slightly but it turned out great. Will definitely be making a lot more of this in the future.

cookie bar fresh from the oven
Add a layer of chocolate on top
Then peanut butter frosting
Some chocolate shavings
Voila :)


Cookie Bar
170g butter
150g caster sugar
150g dark brown sugar
170g creamy peanut buttr
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups flour
200g plain chocolate

Peanut Butter Frosting
113g butter, softened
113g creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar (add until it's at a desired consistency)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 190C
Cream butter and sugars.
Add peanut butter and eggs and beat until smooth.
Add vanilla, soda, salt, oats and flour to form a dough.
Place into a square pan approx 9" x 9" (this is what I used) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Spread chocolate over the bar and allow to cool completely.
Combine all the ingredients together to make the peanut butter frosting.
Spread over cooled bars.
Decorate with chocolate shavings if desired.


8 comments:

  1. LOL, you are working that KitchenAid hard! You are going to get your money's worth in no time.
    Making the lemon crunch cake today.
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG......I love peanut butter bars....yours look almost sinful...I know my girls would go crazy for them!!
    I am so happy to have found your site!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great pictures. The peanut butter frosting looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely an Oh Wow recipe the minute you see it. It looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats heavenly! I wish i could grab few :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know just what you mean - I still don't like eating peanut butter but love it in baked goods! These look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh hubba hubba! These are absolutely drool worthy! I love peanut butter and chocolate together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big fan of peanut butter so may have to give these a go- they sound, and look, delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!