For the cake
225g butter, softened
225g golden caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
250g self-raising flour, sifted
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
25g ground almonds
200g fresh blueberries
For the topping
juice of 2 lemons
115g golden caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm/8inch square cake tin.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour towards the end to prevent curdling.
- Beat in the lemon rind, then fold in the remaining flour and ground almonds with enough of the lemon juice to give a good dropping consistency.
- Fold in 3/4 of the blueberries and turn into the prepared tin.
- Smooth the surface, then scatter the remaining blueberries on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To make the topping, place the lemon juice and sugar in a bowl and mix together.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick it all over with a fine skewer and pour over the lemon mixture.
- Leave to cool in the tin until completely cold.