I got an invitation to take part in this month's 'We Should Cocoa' challenge. The idea is to bake something with chocolate each month which must include a special ingredient chosen by the host. This month's host Choclette has chosen hazelnuts which immediately made me think of Nutella. I decided to use a recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and am really pleased with how it's turned out. The cake is moist and chocolatey and the filling of Nutella is divine. The frosting is really light and fluffy with the right hint of nutella goodness in it.
Makes 9 cupcakes of the size shown
Hazelnut and Chocolate Cupcakes
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
whole hazelnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Slowly pour the milk into the flour mixture, beating well until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one and fill with a dollop of Nutella.
Hazelnut and Chocolate frosting
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g butter, at room temperature
25ml whole milk
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed.
- Slowly pour in the milk, then when it is all incorporated, turn the mixer to a high speed.
- Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
- Stir in the Nutella spread by hand until evenly mixed into the frosting.
- When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the frosting on top and decorate with whole hazelnuts on top.