As mentioned in my previous post, I also made a plain and simple victoria sponge for the Macmillan World's Biggest Coffee Morning . I decided that you can't go far wrong with a simple sponge and fortunately it was very well received. I used the recipe from Mary Berry and it turned out really well. Just mix everything together and voila.... it rose better than my previous attempt, I'll be using this recipe from now on :)
For the cake
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
For the filling and topping
about 4 tablespoons raspberry or strawberry jam
a little caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and base line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
- Measure the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well until thoroughly blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level out.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Leave to cool in the tins for a few moments then turn out, peel off the paper and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- When completely cold, sandwich the cakes together with the jam.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar to serve.