Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Apple and Cinnamon Cupcakes

Yet another recipe from the Love Bakery cookbook. I saw this on a few other blogs, namely the caked crusader and I heart cupcakes and knew I had to give it a go as well. It was really moist and flavourful with the right amount of cinnamon. These are even better than the caramel apple cupcakes I made for Cupcake Camp London. Apple is fast becoming one of my favourite cake ingredients. There's an apple and olive oil cake that I've been meaning to make for ages - I will try to make it before the new year!

 first time using an apple corer :)

 add cinnamon and lemon zest to the grated apples 

 add to the batter 

 ready to go in the oven 

 fresh from the oven 


 I tried 2 different piping methods. Which do you prefer? 

For the cupcake - Recipe from the Love Bakery Cookbook
(Makes 12 - I got about 18, size as shown above)
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
200g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

For the icing 
125g unsalted butter, at room temp
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
2 tablespoon clear honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Add the butter and sugar to the electric mixer and cream together for 7 mins or until light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs, one by one, and mix for 2 minutes.
  • Mix the flour and the baking powder together in a separate bowl, then add to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
  • Add milk and mix for a further minute.
  • In another bowl, mix the apple, cinnamon and lemon zest together, then add to the mixer and mix well.
  • Use the ice cream scoop to divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases.
  • Bake for 25 minutes.
  • Remove the baked cupcakes from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing
  • Cream the butter in the mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
  • Add the icing sugar and milk and mix for a further 2 minutes until well blended, then add the honey and cinnamon and mix well.


  1. your cakes look incredible and i'm so glad youve posted your buttercream icing as i was failing miserably with mine... thank you

  2. Both look great. I like the twirl one better :D

  3. They look adorable! And I can imagine how the apple would make them so deliciously moist! :D

  4. I love apple and cinnamon together. I'm sure that they'd be even better in a cupcake. Great piping by the way, I can never get mine that pretty :(

  5. Oh yes! Apples and cinnamon is the perfect winter pairing. Gorgeous cupcakes and fabulous recipe!

  6. These are one of my all time favourite cupcakes, glad you agree!
    I like both piping, but what did nozzle you use for the one on the left?
    There are so many delicious apple recipes out there. Although I think my next cupcake is going to be the Christmas one from the Love Bakery book

  7. @dom at Belleau kitchen - thanks. Hope you got to try the buttercream icing
    @Zoe - thanks, I like the twirl one too
    @Lorraine - thanks!
    @Brittany - thanks, i'm still practicing my piping skills
    @Jamie - thanks!
    @i heart cupcakes - i used a star tip and just pushed the icing out in the middle of the cake. I think I might end up baking my way through the love bakery book next year!

  8. Beautiful flavour, and they are both beautiful but I think i like the first piping better. You are getting really awesome at it.
    *kisses* HH

  9. I was thinking of doing that - trying another recipe from it at the weekend. I recommend the rhubarb and custard one next, it was lovely :)
    Ta for the info re the tip -love the look of the frosting

  10. I love how your icing came up unlike my icing looks so wet-y. I should better try your recipe. Thanks for sharing it.


I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!