Continuing on my search for the perfect brownie, I decided to try the traditional brownie from the hummingbird bakery. It was nice, moist and chocolatey with a lovely flaky, crunchy top that I like. Its a bit more cakey and less gooey than Nigella's brownies. Which sort of brownie do you prefer?
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
175g unsalted butter
325g caster sugar
130g plain flour
icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water).
- Leave until melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the sugar and stir until well incorporated.
- Add the flour and stir until well incorporated.
- Finally stir in the eggs and mix until thick and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until flaky on the top but still soft in the centre.
- Be careful not to overcook otherwise the edges will become hard and crunchy.
- Leave to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar, to decorate.