Wednesday 12 January 2011

Engagement Cupcakes


Exciting news! My colleague just got engaged!! Of course I had to make some cupcakes suitable for the occasion and am very pleased with how they turned out as are the prospective bride and groom! I went with plain vanilla mini cupcakes which I hand frosted and then used barbie glitter writing icing to write the message.

 Congratulations Libby & Simon!!  

 had to arrange the cakes pre-icing to make sure it fit and that I could spell! 

 i used pink frosting for the hearts 



For the vanilla cupcake (Recipe from the primrose bakery)
(Makes 22 mini cupcakes and 5 mini heart cupcakes as shown)
110g unsalted butter,at room temperature
225g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
150g self-raising flour, sifted
125g plain flour, sifted
120ml semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract

For the vanilla buttercream icing (I used half a recipe)
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
60ml semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
500g icing sugar, sifted


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and smooth. 
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition. 
  • Combine the two flours in a separate bowl. 
  • Put the milk in a jug and add the vanilla extract to it. 
  • Add one third of the flours to the creamed mixture and beat well. 
  • Pour in one third of the milk and beat again. 
  • Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk have been added. 
  • Carefully spoon the mixture into cases, filling them about 2/3 full.
  • Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes (regular size) or 15 minutes (mini size) until slightly raised and golden brown. 
  • Remove from the oven and leave the cakes to cool.
  • To make the icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy. 

8 comments:

  1. Very cute! That's a lot of cupcakes, but I'm sure they disappeared quickly.
    I can't recommend making your own creme caramel enough. It's so silky and delicious, you'll want to eat nothing else. just use a low oven temperature. Half and half is half milk and half cream. We use it in our coffee and it's 10% milk fat. Just mix cream and milk to get the richness level you prefer. Oh, and vanilla is great instead of cardamom.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw congrats to them! That's very sweet of you to do this. I love glitter writing on cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe that is lovely! Congratulations to Libby and Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you sweet making them cupcakes! I bet everyone wishes that they had a colleague like you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOw sweet! Congratulations to the happy couple.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are cute! how did you make the heart shaped cupcakes or were they regular cupcakes just with heart shaped frosting?
    I've tagged you in an award question time thing over on my blog if you fancy doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cupcake Crazy Gem - I used a mini heart mould for the cakes.Thanks so much for the award- I'll try to get round to it.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!