Tuesday 15 February 2011

Chocolate Heart cookies


Happy Belated Valentine's everyone! I know most blogs have been full of valentine goodies so I'm jumping on the bandwagon too :) In fact I can't even claim credit for these as I saw them on Joy the Baker's blog and knew I just had to make them.  It was also a good opportunity to break into my new set of heart cookie cutters.  The cookies turned out really well - strong cocoa flavour with a hint of nuttiness from the wholewheat flour and not too sweet at all. I could probably eat the whole batch myself!

 dough and heart shaped cookie cutters

 large hearts 

 medium and mini hearts 

 I forgot to add the sugar before I baked them so added them in just after they've been baked. Most of it stayed on :) 



140g wholewheat flour
57g plain flour
45g cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
113g butter
82g brown sugar
42g sugar
1 large egg


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Whisk flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. 
  • Beat butter and sugars until well mixed.  
  • Add in the egg and continue mixing.
  • Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed.
  • Spoon batter out onto a sheet of parchment paper and form loosely into a log.
  • Chill dough for at least 2 hours or overnight. 
  • Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. 
  • Use cookie cutter to cut cookies and place on prepared baking sheets.
  • Lightly brush the cookies with water and brush with granulated/sanding sugar if required. 
  • Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. 
  • Allow to rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  

7 comments:

  1. Awwwww...these are just beautiful! I loved how you made those rabbit cookies to honor us rabbits, and you know we rabbits are very peace-loving, sensitive, and loving...perfect for us too...and Valentine's Day as well! You did a great job on them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww how cute are your chocolate hearts and I like the pretty little sprinkles in the centre too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so sweet...they would go perfect with a nice cup of tea..Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day. These look very sweet indeed.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sugar sprinkles - just adds that extra loveing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Chocolate is perfect on V Day.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!