Happy Belated Valentine's everyone! I know most blogs have been full of valentine goodies so I'm jumping on the bandwagon too :) In fact I can't even claim credit for these as I saw them on Joy the Baker's blog and knew I just had to make them. It was also a good opportunity to break into my new set of heart cookie cutters. The cookies turned out really well - strong cocoa flavour with a hint of nuttiness from the wholewheat flour and not too sweet at all. I could probably eat the whole batch myself!
I forgot to add the sugar before I baked them so added them in just after they've been baked. Most of it stayed on :)
140g wholewheat flour
57g plain flour
45g cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
82g brown sugar
1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- Beat butter and sugars until well mixed.
- Add in the egg and continue mixing.
- Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed.
- Spoon batter out onto a sheet of parchment paper and form loosely into a log.
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Use cookie cutter to cut cookies and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Lightly brush the cookies with water and brush with granulated/sanding sugar if required.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Allow to rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.