Sunday 13 March 2011

Chocolate Beetroot Cake


Special welcome to Angie who's come to visit and stay with me in London.  She wanted a cake with chocolate and preferably something slightly unusual so I decided on a chocolate beetroot cake. I've made it previously into a cupcake and I really enjoyed the flavour and texture. I used a different recipe this time and it turned out better than I expected.  I think you can actually taste the beetroot flavour and it gives a lovely richness to the colour and texture of the cake. The ganache is chocolatey and smooth and complements the cake very well. 
Apologies as I've been too busy to bake or blog recently... shock horror...but I do have quite a few posts to blog about as I had a bit of a baking frenzy before Angie's visit so do check back later for more goodies :) 

 blitz the beetroot

 add to batter 

 fresh from the oven

 chocolate ganache 

 ice the cake 

 my fav glitter gel writing

For the cake
250g cooked beetroot
100g dark chocolate
125g butter
250g light brown muscovado sugar
3 medium eggs
50g cocoa powder
225g self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the chocolate ganache
150g plain chocolate
140ml sour cream
60g icing sugar, sifted

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Grease and line a 22cm cake tin.
  • Melt chocolate over pot of simmering water and set aside to cool. 
  • Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well. 
  • Beat butter, eggs and sugar until pale and mousse like.
  • Blitz the beetroot.
  • Add half the beetroot and half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and fold through 4-5 times. 
  • Add remainder of the beetroot and dry ingredients and fold through until smooth.
  • Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • To make the ganache, put all the ingredients into a bowl and set over simmering water.
  • Allow to melt but don't let it get too hot.
  • Remove from heat and stir vigorously until you have a smooth glossy mixture.
  • Leave to cool and thicken.
  • Spread over cake with a palette knife and decorate as desired. 


7 comments:

  1. Fantastic - now that's what I call a welcome to London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try making a beetroot cake after tasting a slice in my local cafe. You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would sure love to try making this cake sometime! I'm just so curious what it tastes like!! :) Yours turned out beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love vegetables in cakes! They make them so much more moist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful welcome. How can she not love London after this?
    *kisses* HH
    *kisses* HH
    p.s. Hope you've entered my contest daaaaahling, there is a shiny Amazon gift card to be won with your name on it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your blog on Carols Beetroot Friday and was intrigued by the combination, I absolutely love your cake and will try it out too, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it - it's a really good cake!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!