Monday 21 March 2011

Portugese egg tarts



Portuguese egg tarts were evolved from "pastel de nata", a traditional Portuguese custard pastry that consists of custard in a crème brûlée-like consistency caramelized in a puff pastry case. It was created more than 200 years ago by Catholic Sisters at Jerónimos Monastery (Portuguese:Mosteiro dos Jerónimos) at Belém in Lisbon. Casa Pastéis de Belém was the first pastry shop outside of the convent to sell this pastry in 1837. I remember having these in Lisbon and they were amazing!! I have tried to re-create it at home but it's not quite the same.  However, it's good enough to fill the void :) Plus you can make almond biscotti with the leftover egg whites! 






 heat milk and vanilla seeds 

 after adding egg yolks 

 pastry shells 

 ready to go in the oven


Makes 10 of size shown

1 packet puff pastry
170g sugar
250mls milk
1 vanilla pod
3 tablespoons cornflour
6 egg yolks, beaten

  • Preheat oven to 180.
  • Cut pastry into 4 pieces.  Roll to thickness of 3mm. Cut into 10 pieces and use to line muffin tins. 
  • Heat sugar, milk and vanilla seeds in saucepan.
  • When the mixture is hot, take 3 tablespoons from the pan and mix with the cornflour to create a paste. 
  • Pour back into the milk and gently heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.
  • Remove from heat and stir in egg yolks.
  • Pour mixture into each pastry case and bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is lightly browned on top.


11 comments:

  1. These look so cute! I'm drooling over the peanut butter cups with nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these on my baking radar for a while now - I adore anything custard so these are really calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making some of these a couple of weeks ago but they were a huge fail! I think I made my custard too thin and then the pastry stuck to the tin so all the custard ran out ;0(
    (Still tasted fab though lol)
    Yours look much, much better than my attempt. You have inspired me to give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh these sound good and they look good too. I so love pastries, but have only had the odd foray into making my own - must remedy this situation. The nuns must have lived very well dining on these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so fabulous...I must make them- WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these little morsels! They're so moreish and an absolute crowd pleaser! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely recipe and one that I don't have in my files. This is my first visit to your blog and I took some time to browse through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be coming back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. These tarts look so good. Can't wait to try a batch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try making these, they really sound lovely.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful! I've never tried making anything like this before. Would be perfect for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE egg tarts! these look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!