Tuesday 7 June 2011

Apple and Olive Oil Cake with Maple Frosting



This is a special birthday cake for a special friend :) It seems like P has had the longest birthday ever! (well on my blog anyway)  I made some homemade chocolate liqueur truffles and lemon meringue kisses as gifts and asked her what she wanted for a birthday cake. She loves apples (without nuts) and requested an apple crumble. However, Ottolenghi's apple and olive oil cake has been on my to bake list for a long time and I thought this is the perfect opportunity to make it.  Plus I wanted a proper cake that I could frost and decorate for her birthday rather than an apple crumble!  
If you haven't been to Ottolenghi, I would highly recommend it. The food is delicious and all their cakes and desserts are absolutely divine. My absolute favourite is the macadamia and caramel cheesecake. Absolute heaven  :) 
This cake was absolutely delicious. It was really moist and light and I love the crunch of apples. The maple syrup frosting was heavenly and I have to admit I ate all the left over frosting for breakfast and dessert the next day! 
We went to a lovely restaurant to celebrate the birthday and they were kind enough to decorate the plate with writing and fruit as shown above. I bought a really fancy candle after having seen it on the caked crusader's blog. It's really amazing (and it saved me decorating the top of the cake- it's a huge candle!)

 I cut my apples fairly large as I like to see them in the cake. 

 add apples to the batter 

 add egg whites

 ready to go in the oven 

 my new turntable from mum (thanks mum!)- it says 'have a nice day' although you can't really see it from this photo

 first layer of cake 

 spread frosting on top 

 sandwich the cakes 

 more frosting on top 

 amazing candle - musical candle with a sparkler on top and candles on the petals that rotate slowly. I bought it from amazon. 

 this might explain the candle better! 

 wow

 absolutely divine :) 

Happy Birthday P! 

For the cake
280g flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
120ml olive oil
160g caster sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm pieces
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 egg whites

For the icing
100g unsalted butter
100g light muscovado sugar
85ml maple syrup
220g cream cheese

  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Grease and line 2 sandwich tins
  • Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
  • Whisk the olive oil, vanilla and sugar in an electric mixer until smooth. 
  • Whisk in the eggs, on at a time and mix until well incorporated. 
  • Stir in the apples and lemon zest and then the flour mixture.
  • Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. 
  • Fold egg whites gently into the batter. 
  • Pour the mixture into the prepared sandwich tins. 
  • Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. 
  • Allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack. 
  • To make the frosting, beat togethr the butter, maple syrup and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  • Add in the cream cheese and continue beating until it's very smooth and light. 
  • Spread half the icing on top of the first cake and place the second cake on top. 
  • Spread the remainder of the frosting on top. 
  • Eat left over frosting - this is the best part :) 

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday P! What a glorious cake- perfect for such a celebration! I too am a big fan of Ottolenghi - you can often find me each week staring at the beautiful display of treats in the store window, 'ohhing' and 'ahhing' over the creations, at a loss to know which to try first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky friend you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled to death that you made this cake because it is my absolute favorite thing that I have ever baked. Daaaahling, I am absolutely obsessed with the idea now that I make the cheesecake too! You must make it with me, I've never attempted a baked cheesecake before !!!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kate - Thanks. Glad to know another Ottolenghi fan.

    @Kerry - Thanks, she knows how lucky she is :)

    @Heavenly Housewife - what a brilliant idea. Yes let's have a cheesecake challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have added this cake to my 'must bake' list. I love Ottolenghi, although I must confess we've only ever managed to get takeaway from there as it is always so damn busy!
    Love the candle btw - lucky friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum. oh yumyumyum, and I love the candles too, sounds really fun! :) I would like to go to Ottolenghi, but I have a feeling it's very very far away from where I live.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! That frosting sounds amazing! No wonder eating the leftover frosting was your favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely combination of flavours in your cake - it looks stunning too.

    Glad the candle saved you some work - it really does live up to its name of "showstopper"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's one lucky friend! What a spectacular cake, and the candle looks so fun as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lucky P. It sounds like a fabulous cake. Really like the sound of that combination of flavours. Would love to eat at Ottolenghi - one day!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!