From apples to bananas and carrots, I feel like I'm going through my alphabet...ABC! Hmm could be an interesting challenge but might be tricky when I get to X. Can you think of a food that begins with the letter 'X' that I can bake?
Anyway we digress. This is a really simple recipe, one of those mix everything and bake (my favourite kind) and perfect for breakfast/tea or as a snack. The muffins are really soft and moist and the orange flavour is quite strong. If you don't like the ctirusy tang then either omit the orange zest or put a minimal amount in. I had to put most of these in the freezer so they would last longer otherwise they were in danger of being eaten very quickly! They freeze really well and make an excellent breakfast on the go.
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon honey
zest of 1 orange
2 bananas, mashed
150g carrots, grated
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add 2 egg yolks, honey and orange zest and mix well.
- Fold in the mashed bananas, grated carrots and oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the egg whites to the batter and fold in carefully.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.