Monday 14 November 2011

Apple, chocolate and nut bundt cake


This month's we should cocoa is hosted by Chele from Chocolate Teapot and she chose apples as the special ingredient. I have been baking quite a lot with apples recently as it's in season but I have never baked them with chocolate so this truly was a challenge for me. It took a while before the idea fully formed in my head. I leafed through some of my cookbooks to get inspiration and came across this nutty apple loaf from the hummingbird bakery cookbook which has chocolate in it. Excellent! I then thought maybe I could make it in my new bundt pan which I have been dying to use. I am so glad that it turned out well and looks really pretty. 
As it's a small tin, I got to make some mini loaves as well. The cake itself was moist due to the apples and the nuts gave it a lovely crunch and texture. The chocolate complemented the flavours but did not overpower. I am definitely making this recipe again and again. 
In case you didn't know, tomorrow November 15th is National Bundt Day. Mary from The Food librarian makes 30 bundt cakes in the month leading up to tomorrow. She has an impressive collection of bundt pans and a vast collection of bundt cake recipes some of which I have tried with good results. I am adding this recipe to her round up for 2011. 

 my new bundt pan 

 mix ingredients together for the cake 

 add chopped apple, chocolate and mixed nuts. 

 filling the bundt pan 

 perhaps a little overdone!

 I love the way it looks :) 

 sprinkling of icing sugar on top 

 you can see the apples and chocolate
 
 mini loaves with the extra batter 


Recipe from the hummingbird bakery cookbook
175g unsalted butter
140g soft light brown sugar
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
2 eggs
140g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
100g shelled mixed nuts, chopped
50g dark chocolate, chopped
2 eating apples, cored and roughly chopped


  • Put the butter, sugar and strawberry jam in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and cream until light and fluffy. 
  • Add the eggs one at a time. 
  • Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a separate bowl and then beat into the butter mixture. 
  • Stir the nuts, chocolate and apples into the mixture by hand. 
  • Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. 
  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Pour the mixture into a bundt pan (or loaf tin) and bake for about 45-50 minutes. (My small bundt pan only required about 35 minutes to cook)
  • A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean and the sponge should feel firm to touch. 
  • Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning out to a wire rack to cool completely. 
  • Dust with icing sugar if required. 

17 comments:

  1. OMG that looks good, love the big chunks of apple and choc you stuffed into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely bundt tin! stunning bake as always :)

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want bundt tin...they make everything look so pretty! Love the combination of chocolate and apples here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking cake and a great combination of flavours. I'm also very impressed by the news that there's a National Bundt Day. I'm ashamed that I don't even own a bundt tin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous cake (and wonderful pan!!!). Apple desserts are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, did I miss National Bundt Day? Love this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I've never tried a Bundt tin that looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Bundt Cake Pan Day!!! Your Bundt Cake looks scrumptious! How did I not know about this event. Way cool...

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty and delicious looking bundt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks stunning, a real work of art. And it's so right for autumn too, especially with the nuts and apples. Glad you are a convert to the apple & chocolate combination. I've never made a bundt cake before, but have been wanting to get hold of a ring mould for some time - they look so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing cake & recipe!I don't even there's a National Bundt day. Thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUCH a beautiful bundt pan... I'm so envious! :) A gorgeous recipe, too. will be trying this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great bundt pan - that is seriously gorgeous! The flavors of the bundt sound great too - love using apple chunks in baked goods as it makes them so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi! can you please please share more information on the bundt pan you got? its so gorgeous! what company made it? what is the name of the pan! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahnak - I bought the tin online from a uk based kitchenware company called Lakeland. They don't actually make these anymore. I'm sorry I don't know what it's called apart from a bundt tin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, thanks so much for the quick reply! ah well. your cake makes the mold look so attractive! hold tight to your mould! happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ¡Qué lectura tan agradable, este blog siempre me alegra el día! Vaya, la cps test mencionada en este blog es una forma fantástica de potenciar mis habilidades cognitivas.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!