Sunday 27 November 2011

Food Bloggers Unplugged


I have been reading this on a lot of blogs recently so was really touched to be tagged by Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen. Susan from a little bit of heaven on a plate started this fun, online tag which helps us get to know the person behind the blog. I have to admit I was feeling quite shy and unsure. I'm quite a private person and have kept personal details to a minimum on this blog. However, I am nosey and love learning about others. I guess it's only fair so I will try my best.... 


1. What, or who inspired you to start a blog?

It was a sort of new year resolution although I don't tend to make resolutions. I had baked like mad over festive xmas season 2009 and wanted somewhere to share my bakes. I wanted to do something different that year and focus more on my baking. A friend of mine suggested a blog and the rest as they say is history. I'm slightly technically challenged but it seems to have worked well. I can't make it look too pretty as I don't know how. Hoping to get a facelift for my blog next year. 

2. Who is your foodie inspiration?

I'm sure almost everyone has said their mum but it's true. My mum is an amazing cook and baker and I remember when we were younger, after eating at a restaurant, mum would say I can cook that and she would! Often it would be a better version. I get inspiration from reading other food blogs, online recipes, cookbooks and talking to other cooks/bakers. 

3. Your greasiest, batter - splattered food/drink book is?

I don't actually have one. I don't really cook much, I really just tend to bake. If I do cook, I'll probably get a recipe online or from my mum. I do have a rapidly growing collection of baking related books. My most frequently used ones are Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery, The Love Bakery and the Hummingbird Bakery. 

4. Tell us all about the best thing you have ever eaten in another country, where was it, what was it?

It is so difficult to choose as I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places and eaten lots of different, delicious foods. It would probably take forever to tell you about them. I'll go with recent food memories but as pictures speak louder than words .... 
 amazing little bread/pastry thing in Italy - I cant remember what its called. Great with ham and cheese 

 Delicious, fresh grilled seafood in Ghent, Brussels. 


5. Another food bloggers table you'd like to eat at is?

Probably every food blogger I've visited! I'd like to mention 2 in particular:  Not Quite Nigella, a food blogger from Sydney as I drool everytime I visit her site and Joy the Baker - absolutely amazing blog. 

6. What is the one kitchen gadget you would ask Santa for this year (money no object of course)?

Ooh this is a tough one. Maybe a glass bowl for my KitchenAid as I keep seeing it on TV and cooking demonstrations. Plus it would be helpful when having to beat egg whites for the recipe as I don't have to wash and dry in between! 

7. Who taught you how to cook?

I'm not sure as I can't cook very well. By osmosis from mum I guess but it's mostly been self taught. 

8. I'm coming to you for dinner what's your signature dish?

See above - I guess it would be a 3 course dessert dinner! How about cake, cheesecake and pudding? If you insist on something savoury, maybe a vegetable curry or roast pork (which I've made only once for Xmas)

9. What is your guilty food pleasure? 

It would have to be KFC! 

10. Reveal something about yourself that others would be surprised to learn?

I don't really cook much at all. In fact I probably know how to cook about 5 things, ok maybe a little more. Everyone always asks if I cook great food as the assumption is that if you can bake then you can cook. I also have many weird food dislikes (which most people love) such as peas, lamb, celery, ginger, coconut, marzipan.... I think I better stop here! 

Finally...tag 5 other food bloggers with these questions...like a hot baked potato...pass it on!

3. Gem from Cupcakecrazygem
4. Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes 
5. Laura from lauralovescakes 

If you have been tagged, please link up your entry here and if you tweet, use #foodbloggersunplugged on twitter. 

Enjoy! 






14 comments:

  1. GREAT to learn a little more about you and this is such a great tag event too!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read your answers and find out more about the blogger behind the blog! I too am a big big fan of Joy the Baker, such an inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part...lovely to learn more about you...I'm sure you are under selling yourself in the cookery stakes...if you can bake you can certainly cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this is fun. Good to know someone else who has been to Ghent. I went in 2010 and was bowled over by it - loved the architecture, the chocolatiers and the cyclists everywhere. Also know what you mean about being technically challenged. I keep wanting to do things to my blog but just not figuring out how to do it - highly frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great! glad you decided to share a little bit about you! and how funny about the cooking! I don't really ever cook either because in our house my husband does all the cooking and I do all the baking! (at least that's how I get out of the fact that I'm a rubbish cook!) I too would love a glass bowl for my Kitchen Aid and I'm so with you on how annoying it is to wash your bowl out when you need to whip up egg whites in the middle of a recipe! Thanks for tagging me...I'll definitely join in within the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a glistening post filled with all kinds of personal goodies.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Ros:) (did I get it correct this time, lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the most informative information about you I've read. Thanks for sharing this and teaching some of your Idea's





    granite countertops maryland md

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for playing along with the tag. So funny that you can bake but not cook! I think Pie must be the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the kind words! Of course you can come and eat at my table! You would be a VIP ;) It was great to learn more about you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I come here personally to thank you for dropping by my blog and leave your comment. I hope you will enjoy your time at my space as much as I enjoyed myself here. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us. Will be visiting you again soon:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. --So fun reading about you.

    ""Not Quite Nigela"" was and IS my first addiction. I've learned A lot from her....

    Good Post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the insight into you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is written in a very good and entails a lot of useful information for me. I am glad to find a good way of writing the post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone for your kind comments and to Susan for starting this.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!