Saturday 12 November 2011

Ginger and treacle spiced traybake


Tea Time Treats is a new monthly blogging event hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Kate from  What Kate Baked. This month's theme hosted by Karen is Ginger and Bonfire Treats. I love joining in these blogging challenges and was really excited to bake something that would fit this theme. However I don't like ginger but I was pretty sure I could find some other bonfire treats to fit the bill. In the end, I actually picked a ginger recipe as I made this for a team that I was visiting as part of my induction to my new job. I thought it would be nice to bring some cakes along and most people love ginger. Plus I wanted to try some new recipes from 1 of my many new cookbooks that I purchased recently. This recipe is from Mary Berry's 100 Cakes and Bakes. It's a really simple mix everything in one type of recipe - my favourite kind! The longest time taken was to finely chop the stem ginger. 
I do apologise for the lack of photos as it was a gift so I couldn't get a cross section of the cake. I was told that it tasted good but I didn't try any myself. It certainly smelled good - gingery and spicy.  
I am also submitting this to The Pink Whisk November challenge which is traybakes. 





 first time using black treacle and stem ginger

 ready to go in the oven

 looks and smells good 

 top with icing

 sprinkle chopped stem ginger on top

225g butter, softened
175g light muscovado sugar
200g black treacle
300g self raising flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons milk
3 bulbs of stem ginger from a jar, finely chopped

For the icing
75g icing sugar
3 tablespoons stem ginger syrup from the jar
3 bulbs of stem ginger from a jar, finely chopped to decorate 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Measure all the ingredients for the traybake into a large bowl and beat until well blended. 
  • Pour the mixture into the tin and level with the back of a spatula. 
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the middle. 
  • Leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack. 
  • Make the icing by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl and adding the ginger syrup. 
  • Pour the icing over the cake and spread it to the edges with a small palette knife.
  • Sprinkle with chopped stem ginger to decorate.
  • Allow the icing to set before slicing. 


12 comments:

  1. Love this, look delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had spotted Teatime Treats and this is perfect, hadn't seen Ruth's traybake challenge so might have to enter too! This looks delicious and I'm sure made a great gift x

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS so much for this fabulous entry! And the step by step photos are BRILLIANT too! I am a ginger junkie so this appeals to me, but I admire your dedication to make bake that you can't eat!!
    Lucky recipients, and a super entry! Thanks so much.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gingerbread looks great too. It would be fun to do a taste comparison. Nigella versus Mary Berry. Could get nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a similar cake a few Christmasses back and remember, even today, how awesome it was. It looked just like yours so I can imagine how lovely yours tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Ginger and your cake looks fabulous!! How frustrating that you didn't get to try it. Such sacrifices!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I can only imagine the taste of this lovely cake. There's no doubt in my mind that the smell wafting through the kitchen was tantalizing!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would be happy if I baked this for his birthday-for him alone to eat! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband loves ginger and treacle (he'll eat it straight from the tin with a spoon - yuck!) so it's got me all inspired to make something similar for him sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious and I am going to give it a go. Many thanks. What size is the tin you cook it in?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @judy2shoes - I used a 32 x 19 x 3.5 cm tray (12.5 x 7.5 x 1.25 inches) hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

  12. Nice post. Thanks for sharing with us. I would like to share information about the company. The healthcare app development company is at the forefront of innovation, specializing in creating state-of-the-art mobile applications that revolutionize the healthcare industry. With a team of dedicated experts, they design and develop custom healthcare apps that enhance patient care, streamline medical processes, and provide secure and accessible health information.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!