Tuesday 8 November 2011

Popcorn, chocolate and nut slice


I made these months ago but have not had a chance to blog about it until now. It's such a simple and effective recipe, I've like to share it with all of you. I went to a friend's party many years ago and the co-host is a chef. Most of her friends are chefs and I had the best food at this party. The thing I was most impressed with however was a chocolate biscuit slice. Essentially it's like a fridge cake and you can put whatever ingredients that take your fancy. I asked the co-host for the recipe and she kindly shared it with me. I'm sure she was probably expecting me to ask for the recipes of all the other delicious and amazing food there but I just wanted this one. It's simple, no bake and tastes absolutely amazing.
Now, each time I make this, everyone asks me for the recipe! My favourite combination is rich tea biscuits and dried cranberries which I have given in the recipe below.
However,  for this occasion, I had to make it gluten free for my colleague and was looking around my kitchen and spied some popcorn (I still had a box leftover after making popcorn cake ages ago), cherries from my pineapple upside down cake and flaked almonds from my plum and almond crumble slice. Result - good use of my leftovers and a gluten free delicious dessert.




Makes enough for about 30 small slices

150g good quality dark chocolate
50g good quality milk chocolate
75g golden syrup
125g unsalted butter
100g Rich Tea biscuits crumbled into chunks, not powder
100g dried cranberries or raisins
icing sugar for decoration (optional)
(You can also substitute or add nuts, marshmallows, etc but total weight of 'extras' should not exceed 200g)
Note: the exception to this is popcorn which takes up volume but not much weight. For this recipe I had to judge how much popcorn could be covered with my chocolate mixture


  • Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup together in the microwave in 30 second increments until almost melted.
  • Stir to melt fully (be careful not to let the mixture get too hot).
  • Allow to cool a little then stir in the biscuits and cranberries or other 'extras'.
  • Pour into a small rectangular or square tin lined with parchment paper. 
  • Chill in the fridge overnight. 
  • Sprinkle with icing sugar (if required) and cut into small squares. 


4 comments:

  1. OMG This look delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've never tried popcorn in a no bake traybake before, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure glad you confiscated the recipe! It looks awesome!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

  4. Nice post. Thanks for sharing with us. I would like to share information about the company. The healthcare app development company is at the forefront of innovation, specializing in creating state-of-the-art mobile applications that revolutionize the healthcare industry. With a team of dedicated experts, they design and develop custom healthcare apps that enhance patient care, streamline medical processes, and provide secure and accessible health information.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!