Monday 28 November 2011

Secret recipe club - Peanut butter chip pillows



I'm very excited to present to you my first secret recipe post. The secret recipe club was started by Amanda from Amanda's Cookin' Essentially the idea is that you get assigned a blog which you keep secret hence the name and make a recipe from that blog. Someone else will have your blog too. All posts are revealed at the same time on a set date.  As Amanda says, its a fun way to discover new blogs, make new friends and step outside of our comfort zones.
I have been assigned bakingbad as my secret blog. It's a great blog with a variety of foods and bakes which are very helpfully listed in the recipe index. Please do hop over and visit if you haven't already.  I spent a few happy hours perusing her blog and bookmarked a few recipes to try. However, I went back again and saw these mint chocolate chip pillows which were posted recently.  I have been wanting to try something similar but never got round to it so this is as good a chance as any.
I've substituted peanut butter chips for mint chips as if you know me or read my blog enough you will know that I love peanut butter. This is a great gluten free recipe. It's a baked meringue with chocolate and peanut butter flavours. Mine are probably slightly underdone as I like it soft and chewy but with a crisp exterior. You can definitely taste the chocolate and peanut butter combination. They are so light and airy, you can easily eat the whole lot in one go (no I have not, honest!) I can see why they are aptly named pillows. 




 light fluffy chocolate meringue

 adding the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips

 ready to go in the oven 


 yummy 'pillows' 

 you can see the peanut butter chip and the soft, chewy interior



Secret Recipe Club


Recipe adapted from bakingbad

4 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
95g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate chips
100g peanut butter chips 


  • Preheat oven to 150C/300F. 
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
  • Continue beating whilst adding in the sugar a little at a time.
  • Add in the vanilla extract.
  • Then add the sifted cocoa powder and finally fold in the chips (you can subsitute for any flavour you like - chocolate, mint, butterscotch etc)
  • Using a small ice cream scoop, place  heaped scoops of batter on the tray spaced apart. 
  • Bake for 35-45 minutes until they are dry.
  • Allow to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Store in a an airtight container at room temperature. Should keep for a week but I won't know as mine will all be gone before then! 


22 comments:

  1. These look INCREDIBLE! I would not resist these at all. Plus, what a bonus that they are gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, meringue, chocolate and peanut butter - 3 of my big loves! these sound seriously good! did you buy your peanut butter chips from a speciality store? I was allowed to order some mint baking chips this week that I've wanted for aaaages...I'm so excited! I'm saving them now for a super special recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask the same question about the peanut butter chips - I've never come across them before! Don't tell me they're just from Sainsburys...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pillowy look of these cookies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at those! They look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look amazing, so light and airy! Welcome to the Secret Recipe Club, it is fun isn't it!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little pillows look so good! We have pb chips in our stores around here. I think that Toll House and Reese both make them.

    We would love the mint version, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Brittany - they taste great and my colleague who is wheat/gluten intolerant loved it!

    @cupcake Crazy Gem - They are Reese's peanut butter chips that a friend bought for me. They are sold in some shops in London but not sure where.

    @gloria - thanks

    @Caroline - see above. Definitely not from Sainsbury's! I wish!

    @yummychunklet - thanks, they are really light and delicious

    @Erin - thanks.

    @Karen - thanks, SRC is fun indeed :)

    @Tami - thanks. Wish I could have easy access to peanut butter and mint chips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! Sounds very good! I love meringue but have never made it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never realized that certain "chip" flavors were not readily available in other countries. I was watching some youtube videos with Nigella LAwson and she was saying she found choc. peanut butter swirled chips that she had to order online. I thought "really?" they are on every shelf here....of course I've never heard of Golden syrup either (C:

    ReplyDelete
  11. @kirstin - you should try this. Yes sadly we cant get all the exciting 'chip' flavours here in UK. I have the peanut butter swirl ones but they were imported from USA. Of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, these cookies look good!! I love the idea of filled meringue. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are fun I would be scared to over whip meringue did that recently :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! These look fabulous! I never would have thought to put peanut butter or chocolate chips in meringue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meringue, choco-chips and peanut butter, this couldn't get any better. That is so simple & delicious. Yum yum ...
    SRC is such a bundle of surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love peanut butter chips! Those cookies must have tasted heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh - these look irresistible! Love the name "pillows"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love peanu butter, and these pillows look and sound absolutely phenomenal. I love the idea of peanut butter, chocolate and meringue! I could do about a dozen of them easily! Great SRC choice and good luck with the microwave!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, those look AND sound amazing!!! I think i would love it your way or the mint-chocolate route. As long as there is chocolate, I'm good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @kate - thanks, will try different fillings next time

    @rebecca - they weren't that bad, give it a try!

    @withoutadornment - they taste fantastic!

    @rituparna - thanks. SRC really is a bundle of surprise.

    @Angie's recipes - they really do taste heavenly :)

    @Hazel - I love the name too, part of the attraction :)

    @lisa- thanks, still waiting patiently for the fairy hobmother :)

    @mybeautifuldisasters - yes definitely cant go wrong with chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!