Wednesday 30 November 2011

Ultimate chocolate cake


I attended the first cake club at Cakes4Fun last week where the theme was 'Glitz&Glamour' - there will be a post on this with photos of all the delicious cake I got to eat coming right up. I debated for ages about what to make to fit the theme. I had a few ideas and finally settled on Edd Kimber's ultimate chocolate cake from his book the boy who bakes. I had originally intended to make this cake for my friend's birthday but decided on a raspberry ripple cake at the last minute. So I'm glad I finally got a chance to try this cake. 
It's a really soft and moist chocolate cake which was surprisingly light. The chocolate ganache is heavenly and I could quite happily eat it all on its own! Well I did have to taste a little bit you understand - chef's tax :) I decided to 'glitz' it up by making a chocolate collar (first time with slightly disastrous results!) and add gold shimmer spray to the maltesers on top. Has anyone else tried Dr Oetker's gold shimmer spray? - AMAZING! 
The result : a giant chocolate cake wrapped in a chocolate collar (with a few cracks) and gold, glittery maltesers on top. A bit OTT perhaps but it was well worth the effort. It tasted absolutely divine and looked pretty from the 'good' side!  I had strangers stop me on my way to and back from cake club saying they like my cake which was really sweet. I was quite upset that it didn't turn out perfectly and it actually got worse on my way to cake club but more on that later. Back to the cake.... 

 3 layer chocolate sponge 

 making the chocolate collar. measure your cake (diameter and height) and cut out a strip of parchment paper that size. Lay it over a larger piece of parchment paper to avoid mess. I used milkybar giant white buttons which I randomly spread on the parchment paper using a little bit of water to stick them down. 

 Next melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. I used a combination of milk and dark chocolate here. Allow to cool slightly then spread on top of your white buttons, using a small palette knife to spread it evenly. Allow to set then wrap around the cake. Note : do not leave it until it's completely dry which is what I did as it was past 1am and I really needed to get to bed! It will then be very hard and difficult to bend resulting in cracks! 

 spread ganache between each layer of cake, down the sides and on top 

 my cakes were a little wonky (I accidentally put the top cake the wrong way up creating a gap in the middle) Ah well nothing that a bit of ganache and a chocolate collar can't fix!

 hence the collar... this is the 'good' side 

 I love gold maltesers :)

 I had some leftover chocolate ganache and chocolate from making the collar so I put them into moulds and made these. 

Recipe for the cake and chocolate ganache is from The boy who Bakes by Edd Kimber

19 comments:

  1. Wow!

    I'm impressed by this chocolate cake. It looks very grand and glamorous with all gold trimmings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no problem! if you don't mind venturing to the depths of North Wales! Yeah I've been seeing so many amazing home made ice cream recipes on blogs over the summer that I think an ice cream maker would be so great! The root beer ice cream was amazing!!

    Wow that cake is an absolute show stopper! Well done for trying the cake collar...they couldn't even get it right on Great British Bake Off I seem to remember! and those maltesers are so amazing, I was so intrigued as to what they could be - how clever, I had never heard of that spray before - will have to keep an eye out for it!

    Thanks for tagging me - it was fun to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Well your cake definitely is all about the glitz and glamour. Just when I thought maltesers couldn't get better.... gold shimmer maltesers!! Well done on the chocolate collar, I wouldn't dare try anything like that because I know it would be a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the ultimate in chocolate cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is one great looking cake. Chocolate is my favorite cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I think the word "ultimate" is often overused, but in this instance it doesn't begin to do the cake justice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can vouch for the fact that this cake tasted amazing! I was very glad I got to try some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can vouch for the fact that this cake tasted amazing! It was even better than it looks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looked good in real life too...it definitely fitted the theme of Glitz and Glamour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's one good looking cake. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake looks absolutely amazing! I love the chocolate collar and the gold dust on top...it's a work of art :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right.. absolute ultimate chocolate cake! I love the gold paired with the chocolate. Your cake shines! You've done very very well.

    Ps. I can eat chocolate ganache by itself too..why must it be so good?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so moist. So unbelievably impressive. OTT? Totally OTT but thats part of the fun. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this is amazing!! So glitzy and yet yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! look amazing!! and delicious!gloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog today :) Your cake looks amazing... I just love chocolate cake... chocolate in general really, haha :D I love the idea of the chocolate collar too, especially with the white buttons... so cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks absolutely amazing and I love the idea of gold maltesers they make such glamorous decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful masterpiece! So elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow..Amazing!! What an elegant cake! Well done ^^

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!