I was recently contacted by Domino's to review their new limited edition triple chocolate cookies. The challenge was simple - try them and compare them to your own. As you know I absolutely LOVE cookies and I love baking challenges so it was a no brainer. Yes please! To shake things up a little, I decided to have a blind taste test with my friends. The results? ... wait and see.....
I made a recipe from Sainsburys which I've never made before but it looked good and their triple chocolate brownies are my favourite so I thought it would be a good bet. It has melted chocolate, cocoa powder and chopped chocolate! Yum!
I ordered the Domino's cookies online and they arrived in a box of 4 still warm!
What did the taste testers think? (They did not know which cookie was mine and which was Domino's at the time of tasting)
Taste tester 1: - Crisp on the outside and fudgy in the middle - mmmm (Domino's cookie)
- mmm.... ok.... (my cookie)
Domino 1: bakingaddict 0
- a bit dry and too "cocoa-ey" (my cookie)
Domino 2: bakingaddict 0
Taste tester 3: - They're heavy and more like a brownie. Nice but a little dry (Domino's cookie)
- Taste more like a cookie. I can taste more of the white chocolate here (my cookie)
Domino 2: bakingaddict 1
My personal opinion: The Domino's cookies looked slightly burnt and dense. Not very impressive to look at. However, I agree that it had a nice fudgy middle with crisp outsides and definitely tasted more like a cakey-brownie. I really liked my own cookies (not just because I made it!) They were light and crumbly and bursting with chocolate. You can really taste the chocolate in the cookie and the chunks were great! If I wanted a brookie (cross between a brownie and cookie) then my vote would go to Domino's but if we are talking cookies which we are here then I definitely preferred mine.
Domino 2: bakingaddict 2
Recipe from Sainsburys website
150g dark chocolate
150g unsalted butter
100g light brown soft sugar
75g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
175g plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
150g milk chocolate, chopped into chunks
150g white chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- Melt the dark chocolate by placing it in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Alternatively, you can melt it in the microwave but make sure it does not burn!
- Whisk the butter, sugars and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Stir in the melted dark chocolate and the egg.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and a pinch of salt (if using), until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon rounds of the mixture onto the trays and bake for 12 minutes.