Did you know that this week 14th - 20th May 2012 is Coeliac UK Awareness Week? Coeliac disease is an autoimmune disease. Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye triggers an immune reaction in people with coeliac disease. This means that eating gluten damages the lining of the small intestine. it affects approximately 1 in 100 people in the UK so the chances are you will know someone that has coeliac disease or be affected yourself.
I know quite a few people who are gluten intolerant so I have tried quite a few gluten free recipes. This time, I wanted to take a well known recipe and make it gluten-free in the spirit of the Gluten-Free Challenge
I chose Millionaire Shortbread as I've never made it before and I love the name of it. I have to admit I cheated slightly by using canned caramel but you can of course make your own from scratch. These are really quick and simple to make and tasted really good. My colleague who has Coeliac disease really enjoyed them as did everyone else. I love the crunch from the polenta which had a grainy, crumbly texture and worked really well with the caramel and chocolate.
I found this bag of polenta from an Asian grocery store (as well as the amazing rose essence).
Anyone has any tips on how to get neat, perfect squares? I chilled mine overnight but the chocolate layer kept cracking as I was slicing!
200g ground almonds
250g ground polenta
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
1 can of caramel (or you can make your own)
200g dark chocolate
(I would recommend halving the shortbread recipe if you want a more even slice as this recipe makes a lot of shortbread!)
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground almonds, polenta and sugar until well combined.
- Add the butter and rub until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Press into a baking tray evenly.
- Use a fork to prick holes in the dough.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until cooked.
- Melt 200g chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave (make sure not to burn the chocolate!)
- Spread a layer of caramel on top of the cooled shortbread.
- Add a layer of melted chocolate.
- Chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Slice into squares and enjoy!