Tuesday 26 June 2012

Maple and Pecan Cupcakes


Recently a friend asked me to make some cupcakes for her new man's birthday. I was told any flavour but not banana! I happened to be at Westfield Shopping Centre at the time of the phone call so I nipped into Lakeland to browse through the books quickly for inspiration and had these cupcakes baked and delivered within 3 hours! I got a lovely homemade chilli for dinner and we had these for dessert (I made 16 cupcakes so there was extra)

The recipes worked beautifully.  The cakes are full of nuts and the maple frosting was delicious! My friend brought them to the birthday two days later and they still tasted good. In fact I think these cakes actually taste better the next day if you can possibly wait that long!

As I didn't have the book I saw in Lakeland at home, I did a quick google search for recipes when I got home. I used a combination of 2 recipes - a Paula Deen recipe for the cupcakes and a Martha Stewart recipe for the frosting. As these are two big American baking gurus, I am submitting this to United Bakes of America hosted by Gem from Cupcake Crazy Gem.


I'm also entering them to Cupcake Tuesday hosted by Liz from Hoosier Homemade




 I have to show you this cool tea towel I won in a giveaway from Chocolate Log Blog - thank you!! (sorry the lighting was very poor for the photo)

 Pecan nuts - lots of them and maple syrup 

 I love my nut grinder from Lakeland. It has a cup measure which is perfect when baking from an American recipe!

 Cupcakes waiting to be frosted 

 Looks a little plain... 

 sprinkle with chopped pecans. 


Recipe for cupcakes - I didn't have enough pecan nuts to make Paula's frosting which sounds heavenly so I used a Martha Stewart recipe instead 

Recipe for maple syrup frosting 


33 comments:

  1. So glad you like it - I like your maple and pecan cupcakes, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the tea towel and it will probably make a regular appearance on my blog :)

      Delete
  2. I need to put in a request for my birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I suspect I'll be baking for even more birthdays now :)

      Delete
  3. Maple and pecan is one of the all time great ingredient combinations...I love it and I love cupcakes...so these are perfect! I like your sneaky peak in Lakeland too and then google when you get home...great plan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha it was a last minute request so I had to think on my feet. I still can't believe I got it all done and delivered in a few hours :) Maple and pecan is definitely a great combo!

      Delete
  4. They do look heavenly indeed but I think the maple frosting really sounds divine. I must try that soon. Yummy stuff and lucky riends new boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I was tempted to make extra frosting just for me to eat :) My friend was very pleased with these cakes and she impressed him and his friends too but I'm sure it's more her charm than my cakes! ;)

      Delete
  5. YUM!!!! Maple and pecan is such a tasty combination. I think I need to try maple syrup frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE maple. I used to work at Tim Hortons, and I was obsessed with the maple pecan danish. That combination is killer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice tea towel! You are lucky to win this prize.

    To me, maple and pecan is a very American or Canadian combination. Your cupcakes are just in time for their coming 1st or 4th Jul celebration...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe - I was really pleased with the win too :) I completely forgot about 4th of July! Perfect timing then :)

      Delete
  8. What fun and delicious looking cupcakes! Great flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look lovely - the frosting sounds delicious and I love the sprinkling of pecans on th top. Bet they tasted delicious - no wonder you made 16, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so pleased the recipe made 16 otherwise I'd have used a smaller box ;-)

      Delete
  10. Sound gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, looks really AMAZING..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow a Paula and Martha combo...defo can't get more Americana than that! Lucky your friend has a friend like you! I bet these were devoured - what a great flavour pairing! I'm not so keen on maple syrup myself although Byron tells me I'm going to have to change my ways when we get to Canada! perhaps having it in cupcakes could ease me in gently!! Thanks for entering UBA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were definitely devoured and won many hearts I've been told :) You have to try maple syrup in a cupcake especially the frosting - amazing! I can't believe you're not keen on maple syrup - not even on pancakes or waffles?

      Delete
  13. Oooh maple and pecan a killer combination for me! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a fantastic cupcake... I beautifully frosted, so pretty and as others have said: maple and pecan is such a superb combo... like bread and butter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd prefer maple and pecan to bread and butter ;-)

      Delete
  15. Nothing can go wrong with these 2 awesome combo! And your cupcakes truly look fab & very American cupcakes too; :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love maple and pecan - definitely can't go wrong with them :)

      Delete
  16. I thought the tea towel was your kitchen wallpaper for a moment while scrolling and pictured a golden forested kitchen wall. But a towel works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have a slight tea towel obsession :) Would love new kitchen wallpaper though!

      Delete
  17. Heavenly combination! They look scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They sound amazing but is there any chance you could let us have some metric measurements for all those Brits out there pleeeease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the cupcakes: 185g flour, 3/4 cup finely crushed pecans, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 0.5 tsp salt, 100g sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 113g butter, 2 eggs, 0.5 tsp vanilla, 160mls milk, 1 cup pecans.
      For the frosting: 250g butter, 1 cup pecans, 375g iciing sugar, 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract.
      Sorry I don't have the weight of the pecans as I used my cups and I can't remember now. Hope this helps.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!