Sunday 29 July 2012

Olympic Ring Mini Cake Doughnuts


The Olympics are finally here!! After all the anticipation and excitement the opening ceremony was amazing. I feel so proud and happy to be in London :) Of course I couldn't let the opportunity to bake something pass me by for such a momentous occasion so I present to you olympic ring mini cake doughnuts! These are baked doughnuts which are healthier for you and taste more cake like. They don't have a crust like a fried doughnut but they taste pretty good!

I am entering this to Calendar Cakes hosted by Laura from Laura Loves Cakes and Rachel from Dolly Bakes.  The theme for July is Olympics. I can't wait to see the round up!

I am also entering them to Sporting Snacks on Fabulicious Food hosted by Ren as these are quick and easy to make and would be perfect to munch on whilst watching the games. They would also look good at an Olympic game themed party.




 I got to use my new Wilton Mini Doughnut Pan I bought from America earlier in the year. 

 Adding fresh vanilla seed to the batter 

 I recommend using a piping bag to fill these otherwise it gets really messy!!

 five bowls of vanilla glaze icing and food colouring 

 I didn't have any black food colouring so had to use a writing tube in black 

 Baked mini doughnuts ready to be iced 

 Olympic style 

 Looks much better with some flags on! 

 multi coloured with sprinkles


 Tower bridge at night 

Recipe from Wilton (provided with pan) 

The only adaptation I made was to add fresh vanilla seeds from 1 vanilla pod
Recipe says makes 24 mini doughnuts - I made a double recipe which yielded 80 mini doughnuts so I can only assume that 1 recipe given below will actually yield 40 mini doughnuts!! 

Vanilla cake doughnut

155g plain flour
100g sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
20g butter, melted
1 vanilla pod

Preheat the oven to 220C
Sift the dry ingredients.
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Add in the seeds from 1 vanilla pod (or use vanilla essence or paste)
Pour the batter into a piping bag and snip the end off the bag.
Fill the doughnut pan approximately 1/2 full.
Bake for 4-6 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched.
Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing. 
Finish with glaze and or sprinkles.

Vanilla Glaze 

125g icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all the ingredients together until smooth. 
Use immediately to glaze doughnuts.
You can add colouring if required. 

Dsiclaimer: These were baked for personal consumption only. They were not sold or distributed publicly.  I have no affiliation or association with the Olympic association. 


35 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Looks fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was quite pleased with how they turned out :)

      Delete
  2. What a creative doughnut recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fab! Love the flags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you decided to put it up, fab job

    Nom! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wanted to share my lovely creation :)

      Delete
  5. I prefer your rings to the real thing! Adorable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah these are super cute, I have been wanting to try baked doughnuts for ages, in fact I think with your newly found bag of reese's pb cups you might want to try these http://picky-palate.com/2011/11/03/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-buttermilk-donuts/
    ...they're right up your street! and in mini version would be even cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh thanks for the link - it looks great! have bookmarked to try.

      Delete
  7. look at your adorable mini donuts... they are so sweet, I love the way they are baked rather than fried... they really do look goooood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously fried tastes better but as a healthier alternative these are really good too :)

      Delete
  8. Love these little cakes, look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun little doughnuts! I'm really enjoying the Olympics, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've got Olympic fever too - the opening ceremony was fab!

      Delete
  10. So CUTE! I'm planning on making a whole birthday cake made out of mini doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I've been thinking about getting a donut pan for a while, all the donut possibilities are very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get a donut pan - the possibilities are endless :)

      Delete
  12. I love these doughnuts...a fabulous Calendar Cakes entry, thanks so much for joining in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they were great fun to make and eat :)

      Delete
  13. Aww these are adorable!! I bought a doughnut pan a while back, but haven't used it yet, I keep seeing delicious recipes, but never seem to get round to it! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely get your doughnut pan out - I had mine for months and I'm glad I finally got a chance to use it :)

      Delete
  14. These are SO clever!! And totally in the Olympic spirit! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you're enjoying the Olympics :)

      Delete
  15. What a fun idea! I have to say I haven't been watching the Olympics at all... last time I checked Kazakhstan had more (and better) medals then England which I found typical, and hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well England has done much better than that since then - gold today!! :)

      Delete
  16. I've never seen baked donuts before but these look very nice and I'm assuming that they are a healthier option in comparison to fried donuts. Love the tin. You really did get some greats bits in the US. The icing was an inspired idea too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a much healthier option. Tastes quite cake like though. I am so so pleased with my USA loot :)

      Delete
  17. Genius! I love these mini Olympic rings and I love the fact they are baked, too - might have to check out that Wilton pan. Thank you so much for entering these into Simple and in Season - you are right they would be fab for an Olympic themed party!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd highly recommend the pan - these are so quick and easy to make and decorating possibilities are endless! Thanks for hosting another fab event :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!