I have been wanting to make Hershey's thumbprint cookies for ages. I actually bought a pack of Hershey's kisses whilst I was in America earlier this year in anticipation and I finally got round to it many months later. The opportunity of course is for my AlphaBakes challenge as the letter is T for thumbprint cookies. AlphaBakes is co-hosted by myself and Caroline from Caroline Makes. This month we have a special prize so make sure you get your entries in on time for a chance to win!
I chose a cherry and almond flavoured cookie (even though it's not my favourite) so I could also enter it to We Should Cocoa where the theme this month is cherries. We Should Cocoa is the brainchild of Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog and Chele from Chocolate Teapot. This month it is guest hosted by Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen. This is probably the first time I've not
I'm also entering these to United Bakes of America hosted by Gem from Cupcake Crazy Gem. She is baking her way through her book United Cakes of America and has asked us to join in either using an American recipe, ingredient or a recipe inspired by a state favourite. Hershey's of course are American so I think these cookies will fit the bill nicely.
Recipe adapted from food.com
Makes approximately 50 cookies (can't quite remember now - sorry!)
200g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon milk
280g plain flour
200g glace cherries, chopped
50 Hershey's Kisses
optional : granulated sugar
optional : red food colouring to get red cookies - perfect for Christmas :)
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Grease and line 2 baking trays.
- Cream the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the almond extract and milk.
- Stir in the flour.
- Finally fold in the chopped cherries.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to place round balls of dough spaced apart on your baking tray.
- Gently indent the cookie with your thumb as shown above.
- Sprinkle some granulated sugar before baking (this is optional)
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
- As soon as the cookies are out of the oven, place 1 Hershey's kiss in the middle of each cookie where the indentation is.
- Allow to cool completely.