Sunday 7 October 2012

Giant Vanilla Raspberry Cupcake


This is the second big cake I made for my work leaving do along with the Nigella Nutella cake. My giant cupcake pan tends to be used for celebrations and leaving do's and it's been quite a while since it was last used so I decided to give it a go. I chose simple flavours - vanilla sponge with fresh raspberries in the batter and raspberry jam in the middle. I was really excited to use my new duo icing kit from Lakeland but unfortunately all did not go to plan. However, I was still able to present a reasonable looking cake and luckily it tasted great. 


 fresh raspberries and raspberry jam 

 I love the colour fresh raspberries! 

 mistake no 1 - overfilling the cake pan 


 mistake no 2 - my poor attempt at levelling the cake which cause the crack in the middle!  

 cover up no 1 - fill with jam and patch with buttercream! 

 not too bad if you don't look too closely! 

 duo icing kit from Lakeland which is great but mistake no 3 - overfilling piping bag and stiff icing 

 finished product. I wanted to pipe rosettes on top but the icing was too stiff and it was difficult to pipe. I do like the two tone icing and can't wait to try it again. 

For the cake 
375g butter
375g sugar
6 eggs
375g self raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 - 150g fresh raspberries

For the icing
500g icing sugar
120g butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons of milk 
pink gel paste (optional) 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each addition.
  • Mix in the flour and vanilla extract.
  • Finally stir in the fresh raspberries.
  • Fill the cupcake mould until 2/3 full - do not overfill!
  • Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely.
  • Sandwich the top and bottom with raspberry jam.
  • Make the icing by beating all the ingredients together until smooth. 
  • Decorate as desired.



13 comments:

  1. Ooh, this looks great! Love the two tone icing - I've been thinking of trying the Lakeland set but haven't managed it yet. Looks really effective though! The raspberries make it look delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the two tone icing too but must try again as this was a poor attempt! The fresh raspberries worked a treat in the cake :)

      Delete
  2. I've got that cake mould and found that following the manufacturer's instructions led to a cake-and-hat situation, rather than a giant cupcake. In my second attempt I used my own insticts and it came out much better! Yours looks fantastic. The raspberries in the batter sound really good, and I love the way you decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've still haven't mastered the giant cupcake yet but hopefully one day I will :)

      Delete
  3. I love this giant cupcake, really a cute thing. The raspberries are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...two great cakes to celebrate your new job/leaving...I bet your ex-colleagues will miss all your cakes! This one looks so pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes... I've been told to send cake back :)

      Delete
  5. Would that be a Chele sized cupcake I spy there on your blog ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 2 tone piping bag is cool! and I love the flavours you used for this giant cupcake, you have such lucky work colleagues! (well not anymore...but the next ones will be super lucky!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 2 tone piping bag - will have to try it again when I've got the icing to the right consistency!

      Delete
  7. Whoa, that looks so cool - especially in the third to last pic with the "lid" on. You can really see it taking shape there. I feel like I could eat the whole thing and justify it by saying "but it's just a cupcake" :D

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!