Friday 26 October 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Quick post today to show you how easy it is to make your own vanilla extract. I made mine back in August but not had a chance to blog about it yet. I've been using it in my cakes and it's delicious! It's definitely worth making this at home if you bake a lot as a small bottle of vanilla extract costs quite a fair bit. The best thing about this is that it lasts for years and once you've made the first bottle, you can continue topping it up and you'll have an everlasting supply of vanilla extract! 

Disclaimer: This is NOT an advertisement for the brand of vodka shown here. I initially bought a beautiful Kilner bottle but in the process of sterilising it by putting it in the oven, the cap melted off so I was unable to use it. Besides it's cheaper and simpler to use the bottle that your alcohol comes in! 



 1 x 350ml bottle of clear alcohol (vodka in this case) and 10 vanilla pods which I ordered online 

 Pour out a small glass of vodka and place the vanilla pods inside. I also scraped out the vanilla seeds into the bottle so that the flavour develops quicker. 

 This is what it looks like to start with 

 after 1 week.. a bit of colour developing 

 after 4 weeks, its ready to use

Tips : 
Store in a dark, cool cupboard.
Shake the bottle every so often. 
Continue topping up with vodka as you use up the vanilla extract.
If you have any spare vanilla pods that you've used in baking, wash and dry them and then pop them in the bottle. 
Pour them into little presentation jars and tie with a ribbon for a Christmas or birthday gift for bakers.






15 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I discovered it, I wondered why I'd waited so long to make my own! No going back now :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great tip. I have recentely been buying vanilla pods to use in my baking but this is a much easier way to add a vanilla flavour to baked goods...I'll definitely try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a go - it's so simple and cost effective.

      Delete
  3. WOW, so cool :)

    XoXo
    http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to know how to do this! Brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bottle of homemade vanilla extract has been on the go for well over 3 years now and it just keeps getting better and better. Just top it up with more vodka each time you use it and it will be with you for as long as your kitchen is ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I've discovered this - not buying vanilla extract ever again. Do you top up the vanilla pods as well as topping up the vodka? I wasnt sure what proportion of vanilla pods to vodka to use so I just stuck 10 in this bottle!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Totally didn't know you could do this yourself! Vanilla extract is expensive for the good stuff, might have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely very cost effective especially if you use it a lot in baking.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!