Saturday 20 October 2012

Neiman Marcus Cookies



I have been wanting to make this cookie for a long time ever since I read about the $250 Neiman Marcus cookie recipe. Legend has it that a mother and daughter asked if they could buy the cookie recipe as it was so good and she was told it's "two-fifty." When she got her credit card statement a month later, it was actually $250, not $2.50 as she thought so she decided that she would share the recipe for free with everyone.  You can read the full story here

These cookies were really delicious! I can see why someone would ask to buy the recipe. It's a crispy cookie and had the right balance of chopped nuts, chocolate chips and ground oats. A definite winner and I've had so many compliments about these cookies, I'll have to make them again! 

I'm sending this to my own AlphaBakes which I am hosting this month as the is letter N for Neiman Marcus (and nuts).  Remember to check out my co-host Caroline's blog next month for November's letter.




 blitz oats to a fine powder 

  add chocolate chips and ground mixed nuts

 ready to go in the oven 

 yum! 

Makes a lot of cookies! approximately 70-80 cookies
I adapted the recipe slightly by reducing the sugar and chocolate chip amounts which I've shown here.

300g plain flour
210g rolled oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
225g butter
200g light brown sugar
175g caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
300g chocolate chips
175g chopped mixed nuts


  • Preheat the oven to 180c.
  • Blitz the rolled oats in a food processor until it resembles a fine powder. 
  • Cream the butter and sugars until smooth.
  • Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. 
  • Mix in the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda.
  • Finally stir in the chocolate chips and mixed nuts. 
  • Use an ice cream scoop to place a scoop of cookie dough spaced apart on a lined baking tray. 
  • Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown.
  • The cookies will still be soft but will harden as it cools.
  • Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 


14 comments:

  1. True story or not they look like great cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have been looking around your blog and I really like it, its full of interesting blog posts which I've enjoyed reading. I see you like baking which is a big passion of mine, It would mean the world to me if you could come over and have a look around my blog, If you like what you see you can leave me a comment :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for visiting. I'll be heading over shortly :)

      Delete
  3. WOW, great post, I loved the story :)

    XoXo
    http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about this recipe before, that lady has some guts I reckon ;0)
    Lovely looking cookies too ... was the recipe really worth $250.00??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read that story before and am never sure whether I believe it! Never seen the actual biscuits though - they look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, they look delicious. I too have read the story before and am tempted to try the cookies - must bookmark them before I forget again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do give them a go as they are delicious! I love crispy crunchy cookies and that's exactly what these are.

      Delete
  7. Lovely cookies...as they're so highly recommended I might have to give them a go! I think it's pretty safe to say that no one else will have the same 'N' as you this month...I've never heard of Neiman Marcus Cookies but yours look delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased when I thought of this 'N' :) I suspect its going to be a nutella and nanaimo fest this month not to mention all the nuts!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!