Monday 22 October 2012

Plum Cupcakes



It's time for yet another Random Recipe challenge set by Dom from Belleau Kitchen. This month the theme is store cupboard finds where we are asked to reach into our cupboards and pull out the first thing you touch then pick a cookbook, turn to the index and find a recipe which has the item in your hand. So with trepidation I opened my overflowing cupboard and reached far into the back and came up with this.... 

 a bottle of homemade plum jam that my colleague gave me quite possibly hoping for a baked item from it. I've now left that job but I did use it in a cake as she probably intended! :) 


I knew that I wanted to make cake with it so I looked at my bookshelf and pulled out my trusted Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. I turned to the index and what do you know on page 111 a recipe for plum cupcakes. Score! 

It's a fairly simple recipe with buttermilk and plum jam which creates a very moist cake. It has jam baked in the cake and sandwiched in the middle of the cake. It tasted very much of plums which incidentally is not my favourite fruit. I thought the cakes were a little too sweet and dense but they are definitely worth a try if you have some plum jam to spare. 



I'm also entering this to Tea Time Treats hosted by Kate from What Kate Baked and co hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is jams, chutneys, curds and conserves. The plum jam is homemade (although not by me!) and I used the whole jar for the cake and icing so I hope this entry qualifies!


I'm also sending this to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior as the ingredients are homemade jam and fresh plums to decorate. No artificial flavours or colours here!




 plum jam, brown sugar, 4 egg yolks and buttermilk 

 fill the cake 1/3 full 

 add a teaspoon or so of jam 

 then top with another 1/3 of batter 

 fresh from the oven 

 decorate with slices of fresh plum

 you can see the jammy layer in between 

Recipe from hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
Makes 18 cupcakes

For the cupcakes 
120g butter
340g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
300g light brown sugar (I reduced the amount of sugar as it seemed too much)
180ml buttermilk
270g plum jam 

For the frosting
400g icing sugar (again I reduced the amount)
160g butter
50ml milk
50g plum jam (original states 70g but I didnt have enough)
Fresh plum slices to decorate

  • Preheat the oven to 190C.
  • Mix the butter, flour, baking powder and salt until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  • In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, brown sugar, buttermilk and 120g of the plum jam until well combined. 
  • Add half to the dry ingredients and mix well. 
  • Add the remaining half and continue mixing.
  • Fill each cupcake case 1/3 full of batter. 
  • Place 1 teaspoon of plum jam followed by another 1/3 of batter. 
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
  • Make the frosting by whisking the icing sugar with butter.
  • Pour the milk in slowly and continue whisking until light and fluffy. 
  • Finally, stir in the plum jam.
  • Spread the frosting on top of your cooled cupcakes and decorate with slices of fresh plum. 

28 comments:

  1. I love the presentation of the cakes, especially the cases! They sound pretty good to me - I love plum jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I had some of these purple cases in my box. I didn't plan it in advance!

      Delete
  2. Look looks fantastic! Especially love the jam in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I the love fresh plums on top, Ros - what a great way to decorate these little cakes. And the jam inside sounds like a great way to keep it moist (perhaps too moist?) while adding extra flavor. Thanks so much for sharing and another creative triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the recipe as it was from a book but the cake was definitely moist and flavourful.

      Delete
  4. Look really delicious Ros I love plums!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look brilliant and I love the little plums on top, gorgeous!... we've had quite a few very different jam recipes this month and it just goes to show how many people keep jams for such a long time... is this a good thing... does it mean we give too many unwanted jam gifts? I think i'd prefer to receive your fabulous cupcakes! Thanks for entering this month, always lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the jams got put to good use this month with your challenge - well done! I can't wait to see what you are going to unleash on us next month :)

      Delete
  6. these look great! will give them a go. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit that I don't always find plums to be the most interesting fruit but I do like the flavour in baking and these do look good. I haven't dared look too carefully at my jam shelf recently - I'd say that there's a good chance of finding some plum jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL looks like there's jars of jam lurking in everyone's cupboards :)

      Delete
  8. I adore plums and especially in crumbles and jams.....oh, and yes,chutney too! These cakes are just perfect for tea time treats and are so autumnal too! Just lovely Ros! Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I love the colour of plums and they worked well in this cake. Might revise my opinion of them :)

      Delete
  9. Ooo these look delicious! I love plums.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh yummy! Loving your colour coordination with the purple cases too. Sometimes cupcakes with jam baked in the centre taste better with just a sprinkling of icing sugar if they're on the sweet side. Although I'm never one to complain about sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour co-ordination was a stroke of luck as I bought these purple cases for something else ages ago but never used them. I love sweet things too!

      Delete
  11. Plums are my favourite too! Thank you ever so much for entering this lovely bakes into this month's TTT! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fab little recipe and so seasonal too. Lovely stuff ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these with the plum jam inside, then in the icing and more fresh plums on top! Gorgeous! I have some jam that these would be perfect for in my cupboard right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look really good - love the fresh plums on top - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cupcakes would be something I would love to bite into.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ros, love your presentation. Thanks for adding it to the collection. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!