Monday 29 October 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Lemon Poppyseed Tea Cakes



It's time for another Secret Recipe Reveal Day! I love being a member of the Secret Recipe Club. Each month, we are assigned a blog (in secret) and we have to choose and make a recipe from that blog and reveal our chosen recipes on the same day. The club has grown so big that we are now divided into groups and I believe there is a waiting list to join. 

My assigned blog this month is The Saucy Gourmet. Shari is a food blogger and food photographer who loves food! Her blog is full of delicious recipes but of course I headed straight for the dessert section. What a wonderful range of choices for me. I narrowed it down to chocolate and peanut butter trifles, chocolate mint squares, red velvet towers and inside out upside down pineapple cheesecake. In the end I chose her lemon and poppyseed tea cake as they are one of my favourite cakes. 

They were quick and easy to make and tasted absolutely delicious! The only adaptation I made was to add some lemon juice to the cake as I love a good tangy, lemony cake :)



 adding poppyseeds 

 mini cake mould 

 mini bundts and mini cakes - the shapes didnt turn out from the mini cake mould but the mini bundts looked great! 

Recipe adapted from The Saucy Gourmet 

Makes 30 mini cakes and 4 mini bundts of the size shown

For the cakes 
375g flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons poppy seed
140g butter
200g sugar
2 eggs
365g yoghurt (1.5 cups)
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1 lemon

For the lemon glaze
185g icing sugar
2-3 tablespoon of lemon juice

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt and set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. 
  • Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one. 
  • Beat in the lemon zest and lemon juice. 
  • Beat in one half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated. 
  • Beat in one third of the yogurt. 
  • Beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients. 
  • Beat in a second third of the yogurt. 
  • Beat in the remaining dry ingredients and then the remaining yogurt. 
  • Be careful to beat until just incorporated. Do not over beat. 
  • Pour batter into cake tins and bake for 15-18 minutes for the mini cakes, 20-25 minutes for the mini bundt cake. If you are making a large cake you will need to bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your cake. 
  • The cakes are done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • To make the lemon glaze, whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency you require. You can always add more sugar if you want it thicker or more lemon juice if you want it thinner. 





26 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Secret Recipe Club too Ros and this is a GREAT choice too! Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the club too and this cake was amazing! xx

      Delete
  2. The mini bundts did indeed look great. They make such a great presentation for an individual serving. And I don't know anyone who doesn't like lemon poppy seed cake--yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini bundts are my new obsession although I tend to eat to many as they are only little :)

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of these, especially with the lemon glaze. The mini bundts are just my size, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are too adorable for words! Love the mini Bundt format, you did a great job!

    happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovbe these tea cakes look adorable and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good! I haven't had anything lemon poppyseed-y in such a long time... Perhaps it's time? I love how cute the little bundts look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lemon and poppy seed - such a great combination and the little bundts are definitely cute!

      Delete
  7. The mini bundts turned out just perfect! These sound just delicious - I'd love these for my afternoon tea snack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made lemon poppy seed muffins before, so I know this would be delicious. What a wonderful afternoon treat this would be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look wonderful - I love the lemon/poppyseed combination and the addition of yoghurt would add that extra tang I'm sure - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were light, moist and delicious :)

      Delete
  10. Love the little cake and bundt moulds and poppy seed and lemon is the perfect combination...I've had a recipe on my to do list for ages but haven't quite gotten round ot it yet! I love the sound of the Secret Recipe Club...I might have to check it out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a waiting list for the secret recipe club but it's worth it - its so much fun! I have a slight obsession about mini bakes now :)

      Delete
  11. The cakes look gorgeous!
    I would love to have you share this (or any other of your recipes) at Wednesday Extravaganza - my Foodie Link Party, and maybe claim a spot with a lifetime feature on my Wall of Fame. Here is the link:
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/10/october-31st-2012.html

    Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, will be over to look shortly.

      Delete
  12. The mini cakes are adorable -- perfect pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mini bundts are so cute, I didn't even know such things existed! Lemon and poppyseed is one of my favourites, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the mini and super mini bundt tins from America and absolutely love them. I love lemon and poppyseed too :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!