It's time for another Secret Recipe Reveal Day! I love being a member of the Secret Recipe Club. Each month, we are assigned a blog (in secret) and we have to choose and make a recipe from that blog and reveal our chosen recipes on the same day. The club has grown so big that we are now divided into groups and I believe there is a waiting list to join.
My assigned blog this month is The Saucy Gourmet. Shari is a food blogger and food photographer who loves food! Her blog is full of delicious recipes but of course I headed straight for the dessert section. What a wonderful range of choices for me. I narrowed it down to chocolate and peanut butter trifles, chocolate mint squares, red velvet towers and inside out upside down pineapple cheesecake. In the end I chose her lemon and poppyseed tea cake as they are one of my favourite cakes.
They were quick and easy to make and tasted absolutely delicious! The only adaptation I made was to add some lemon juice to the cake as I love a good tangy, lemony cake :)
mini bundts and mini cakes - the shapes didnt turn out from the mini cake mould but the mini bundts looked great!
Recipe adapted from The Saucy Gourmet
Makes 30 mini cakes and 4 mini bundts of the size shown
For the cakes
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons poppy seed
365g yoghurt (1.5 cups)
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
For the lemon glaze
185g icing sugar
2-3 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one.
- Beat in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Beat in one half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Beat in one third of the yogurt.
- Beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients.
- Beat in a second third of the yogurt.
- Beat in the remaining dry ingredients and then the remaining yogurt.
- Be careful to beat until just incorporated. Do not over beat.
- Pour batter into cake tins and bake for 15-18 minutes for the mini cakes, 20-25 minutes for the mini bundt cake. If you are making a large cake you will need to bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your cake.
- The cakes are done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency you require. You can always add more sugar if you want it thicker or more lemon juice if you want it thinner.