I'm sure you can tell by now that I love experimenting in the kitchen and creating new recipes when I can. This month's Baking with Spirit hosted by Janine from Cake of the Week has the theme of beer. I have a bottle of apple beer in my fridge from my last trip to Belgium so I got to thinking about making a cake with it and came up with this recipe. It's a vegan recipe with lots of spices, apple, honey and of course beer. The cake itself was quite moist and sticky and you can definitely smell and taste the beer! I'm not overly keen on this cake but I'm glad I tried it and I'm sure if I experimented with the recipe a bit more, I could come up with something much tastier!
I'm also sending this to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior where the idea is to make something from scratch.
And to simple and in season as apples are in season. Simple and in season was created by Ren from Fabulicious Food and guest hosted this month by Franglaiskitchen.
An original recipe by bakingaddict
Makes 11 mini loaves as shown.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground all spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
330ml apple beer
2 Bramley apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large jug, mix the beer and honey together.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Pour in the beer and honey mixture and mix well.
- Finally stir in the chopped apples - you can also grate the apples if you want a finer texture.
- Pour into mini loaf cases and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.