I got these super cute cookie cutters as a gift recently. I was really pleased as I'd been debating about buying them for myself. I've used them twice now and I'm sure I'll get a lot more use out of them! I used a simple sugar cookie recipe and sandwiched the cookies with jam. I thought of making a buttercream filling as well but ran out of time.
The cookie cutters are really easy to use and make perfect smiley faces :) My tips are to chill the cooking dough before rolling and cutting then chilling them again before baking to prevent spreading of cookies when baking. I didn't chill the first round and the cookies expanded quite a bit and filled up the gaps of the face. It only needs 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
I had fun with the cookie cutters. I used an offset spatula to lift the cookies on to the baking tray.
125g caster sugar
2-4 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Finally stir in flour and mix well.
- Knead dough until smooth, wrap in cling film and chill for about 20-30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut using cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking tray and chill briefly for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Sandwich the cookies with jam or a filling of your choice.