Monday 17 June 2013

Rhubarb Custard Crumble Cake




My colleague has an abundance of rhubarb in her allotment this year and has been generously giving them out. I'm not a huge fan of rhubarb but decided I could bake something with it. I've seen rhubarb and custard cakes previously and whilst searching for a recipe I came across this rhubarb custard crumble cake which sounded heavenly. It's the perfect cross between cake and pudding and if you're indecisive like me, you get cake, custard and crumble all at once! 

The cake was absolutely delicious and received high praise at work. The sponge was light and moist and the custard layer sandwiched with rhubarb and crumble was divine. It's definitely changed my mind about rhubarb and I can't wait to make this again! 

Of course this fits in nicely with this month's AlphaBakes which I am hosting this month. The letter is R for rhubarb. Caroline from Caroline Makes is my co-host who will be hosting next month. 


I'm also sending this to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior. This cake is made entirely from scratch including the custard. 



Rhubarb is definitely in season currently so I'm also sending it to Simple and in Season hosted by Ren from Ren Behan.

 rhubarb... 

 ...coated in sugar 

 cooking the custard 

 ready to assemble the cake 

 start with a layer of custard on top of the sponge mix 

 add a layer of rhubarb 

 and finally the crumble mix 

 fresh from the oven 

 You can see the different layers in the cake - perfect with more custard or ice-cream or just on its own! 

Recipe from Bake for the Border

The only changes that I made was: 
1. To use 1 vanilla pod for the custard instead of vanilla extract 
2. To use approximately 350g rhubarb instead of 800g as that was all I had and it worked out fine. If you prefer more rhubarb and less cake then I would suggest halving the sponge recipe and using 700-800g rhubarb or use a very deep tin so all the layers will fit! 




17 comments:

  1. can't wait to get home this week and steal my neighbours rhubarb... this cake looks superb, I love the side shot with all that luscious rhubarb juice dribbling down the side... glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I love rhubarb and custard combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love the look of this cake. I've only recently ventured into rhubarb territory (not sure why I waited so long) and that was a crumble. This crumble cake loos delicious and one of those that you could eat beautifully warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhubarb + crumble +custard = match made in heaven. This is my first time cooking rhubarb and I'm wondering the same (why I waited so long!)

      Delete
  4. What a great way to showcase seasonal rhubarb - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this concept, Ros! First, it's got rhubarb, and can't go wrong there with me. Second, it's a crumble AND cake AND custard - that has to be a winning combination... Such a tasty and creative treat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really turned out beautifully and I'm still getting praises about it at work :)

      Delete
  6. I love this Crumble custard cake look absolutely delicious!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhubarb and custard - if there's a better combination I can't think of it! Lovely looking cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is a good combination especially with the crumble!

      Delete
  8. Mmm, loving all the rhubarb recipes I'm seeing at the moment! Reminds me I made some rhubarb and custard muffins a few years ago and always meant to redo them because I burnt them! Definitely think the cake version sounds better tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed your comment earlier. Rhubarb and custard muffins sound great too.

      Delete
  9. do you cook the rubarb prior to adding it to the cake or do you just coat it in sugar and leave it to cook along with the cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't cook the rhubarb, just coated in sugar and baked it and it turned out well.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!