Wednesday 28 August 2013

Chocolate Chip and Vanilla Marble Cake



It's been a while since I've participated in Dom from Belleau Kitchen's Random Recipe Challenge so I decided to make the effort and make a last minute attempt at the challenge this month which was quite fitting as the theme is grab and run. The premise of the challenge came from Dom having to grab a cookbook quickly from his shelves and run for the car as they were running late. So he tasked us with the challenge of choosing one book from our shelves if we only had 10 seconds to choose. 

I took this challenge quite literally as I only had about an hour before I had to leave for the airport to send someone off when I decided I'd bake something for Random Recipes. So I ran into my living room and grabbed the book that I would go to for baking recipes which is Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book. It's not my favourite book but I have used it a lot and it's never failed to disappoint.  I opened it to a random page which was page 78 for a chocolate chip and vanilla marble cake. I breathed a sigh of relief as it was quick and simple to make and I had all the ingredients to hand. 



I had more chocolate batter than vanilla batter so the cake was not marbled in the end but extremely tasty. I particularly love the addition of chocolate chips in the chocolate batter of this cake and the chocolate drizzle on top was literally the icing on the cake. The sponge was light and moist and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the cake. 




 homemade vanilla extract, cocoa powder, caster sugar, butter, chocolate chips, milk, self raising flour and eggs 


 place a few blobs of vanilla sponge

 then add in the chocolate sponge to create a marble effect 

 still looks vaguely marbled here 

 add a white and dark chocolate drizzle 



 you can't really see the marble effect so it tasted more like a chocolate chip cake 

I've not printed the recipe here but it's a basic sponge recipe which you divide into half. Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips to half the batter to form the chocolate batter. 


13 comments:

  1. It looks delicious Roz, in fact I think I might try it myself this week, I fancy something chocolate-y! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really simple and delicious, hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. it looks really wonderful... I love the way it looks before it's baked, so naughty!... I've been loving this month's random recipes... it's such a fab insight into everyone's books! Thanks so much for the entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for picking a great theme- I can't wait for the round up! x

      Delete
  3. Yum! Love the marble effect on these x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dark and white chocolate drizzle :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the idea of adding chocolate chips to the chocolate batter. Makes me want to make a marble cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering why I've not thought of adding chocolate chips before!

      Delete
  6. Looks wonderful to me - and I love the idea of adding chocolate chips in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the marbled look, it looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it didn't quite work out this time but it was delicious all the same.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!