Wednesday 11 November 2015

Apple Rose Tarts



Yesterday we celebrated a month of marriage. It seems silly I know but I thought it would be nice to mark the occasion with something special. In my world that usually means cake or chocolate. However, I've been wanting to bake apple rose tarts for a while now particularly as my mum and aunt made it recently with huge success. It's normally very popular around Valentine's Day and Mother's Day so I decided to give it a go. It really is much easier than it looks. This makes for a very impressive dessert with a little effort. Plus roses traditionally symbolise love. J was well impressed as was I! 

There are lots of recipes and videos available online and this is my interpretation. A little clumsy but still pretty and delicious. You can get 6 tarts out of 1 sheet of puff pastry but I made mine extralarge and only made 4! Most of the recipes used jam but I decided to go with melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Apologies for the poor quality photos but it was very late at night! 

 ready rolled puff pastry, 2 red apples, butter, cinnamon sugar and egg wash

 Slice the apples thinly and arrange on a plate. Makes sure you keep the skin on. Microwave it gently for 1-2 minutes until the apples are soft and pliable. 

 Cut the puff pastry into 4 using a pizza cutter (cut into 6 strips for smaller, neater tarts) 

 Roll each sheet slightly to widen and flatten it. Spread some melted butter on top

 Add a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar

 Arrange apple slices, overlapping the ends on top of the puff pastry sheet 

 fold the bottom part over and add more melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Starting at one end, roll it up and the apple slices will look like rose petals


 How pretty does that look? I baked mine in a buttered ramekin dishes in a 220C oven for approximately 40 minutes. You can also use a muffin tin if you are making smaller roses.


 They turn out beautifully from the ramekin 

 serve with a dusting of icing sugar 





19 comments:

  1. That is so clever and very effective. They look so pretty. As I read through I would never have guessed the method for making them. Perfect for your 1 month anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I cant believe how easy it is to do and will definitely be baking these again for dinner parties. My husband was well impressed :)

      Delete
  2. These are so pretty! I've wanted to try these out for a while, I am definitely going to after seeing this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know how you get on. I'm baking them again this weekend :)

      Delete
  3. That's a method I haven't seen before. It looks much more 3-dimensional than apple slices curled into a pastry case. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effect is stunning isnt it? I've seen better methods but I like mine :)

      Delete
  4. These look so pretty, I've wanted to try them for myself but I just don't think I have the patience to pull them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give them a go, they don't take long to make but you do have to wait quite a bit for it to cook!

      Delete
  5. so pretty, I too have wanted to try them for a while. Congrats on one month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely -happy one month anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - these look so tricky but, when you show how to do it, it's actually easy! What an impressive bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and they really are easier to make than it looks!

      Delete
  8. WOW!! That's one impressive, spectacular dessert! And congratulations on your month wedding anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and it was absolutely delicious too! :)

      Delete
  9. These look gorgeous, Ros. Happy one month anniversary! J will be wondering what's in store for 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I think I've set myself up to fail! Don't tell him but there's nothing in store for 2 months! Or maybe I'll just make these every month :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!