Saturday 5 December 2015

Mini Caramel Apple Cheesecakes with Streusel Topping


I can't believe it's December already! I probably say this every year but where has the year gone? This year seems to have flown by in a flash. I'm sure there's a lot of festive cooking and baking going on worldwide but I'm still in autumn mode with apples. I saw this on pinterest and thought what a great idea. I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to bake these and made them to take to a dinner party. We were really full from all the food but still managed to enjoy one or two of these. It's a good idea baking them in muffin cases as it's a nice individual portion, looks cute and is easy to transport. I also took some to work as did J and both our work colleagues enjoyed them. It's a baked cheesecake filled with fresh apples, streusel topping and a generous drizzle of salted caramel sauce. These are great for the upcoming festive season as you can bake them in advance and they are sure to be a hit at any party. 

I'm sending this to Simply Eggcellent hosted by Dom from Belleau Kitchen as the theme this month is anything goes. This recipe contains 3 large free range eggs. 


It's also going to Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily from A Mummy Too.



 streusel topping 

 digestive biscuit base

 add cheesecake mixture 

 then chopped apples

 top with streusel topping 

 generous drizzle of caramel sauce before serving


  


Recipe adapted slightly from cookingclassy.com

Makes 18 mini cheesecakes

For the base
16 digestive biscuits
2.5 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
85g butter,melted

For the filling 
340g cream cheese
225g caster sugar
3 large free range eggs
3/4 cup creme fraiche
3 or 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into tiny pieces (if the chunks are too big, the apples won't cook fully)
3 tablespoons lemon juice

For the streusel topping
80g plain flour
40g oats
75g brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
57g butter


  • First prepare the streusel topping by mixing all the ingredients together in a large bowl using your hands until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. 
  • Cover and chill in the fridge. 
  • Preheat the oven to 165C. 
  • Prepare the crust by blitzing the digestive biscuits in a food processor or bashing them with a rolling pin in a ziplock bag. 
  • Add the melted butter, sugar and cinnamon and stir until mixed. 
  • Line 2 muffin tins with 18 cupcake/muffin liners. 
  • Divide the mixture evenly between 18 cases and press down gently.
  • Bake in the pre heated oven for approximately 5 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool.
  • Make the filling by beating the cream cheese with the sugar until smooth. 
  • Add the eggs one at a time followed by the creme fraiche and mix well.
  • Pour the filling (use a measuring jug with a pouring spout) on top of the baked cheesecake crust until about 2/3 full.
  • Peel, core and finely chop the apples then toss in fresh lemon juice.
  • Place a generous spoonful of apples on top of each cheesecake. 
  • Top with the streusel topping. 
  • Bake in the pre heated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. 
  • Allow to cool completely then chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. 
  • Just before serving, pour a generous amount of caramel sauce on top of the cheesecake. I used ready made caramel sauce but you can also make your own. 



6 comments:

  1. Ooh I do love a cheesecake. It's that wonderful claggyness that I love and these look superb! I agree. December has come round so fast. Thanks for linking to Simply Eggcellent. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cheesecakes too and these mini ones are cute and delicious!

      Delete
  2. Smart idea to bake them in muffin cases. They look really cute. I have no idea how we got to December so quickly either! I need to get my festive baking list sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I can't claim the idea as my own but it's very clever.

      Delete
  3. Delicious and lovely to have individual cakes in cases - but HOW would I limit myself to just one!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!